By: Michael Millard, RSPA Sales and Account Manager
The annual Canadian Community Event at RetailNOW 2019 focused on providing attendees with insights into the Canadian market and growing this segment of RSPA membership. This year’s event was introduced by Paul Leduc, President of VAR Globe POS and Chair of the RSPA Canadian Community, and attracted more than 50 Canadian-serving resellers, vendors, software developers and service providers.
The main presentation featured three speakers from ScanSource: Vice President of Sales Casey Huffling as well as Supplier Business Development Specialists Gina Lee and Peter Allen. The trio discussed the very relevant theme of enabling retail in the Canadian market. Subjects included current Canadian retail trends, the voice of the customer, the driving force behind emerging tech decisions, as well as the challenges faced with those decisions. Current trends in Canada include:
- Brick and mortar still consumers’ primary choice
- Greater customer experience expectations
- Luxury retail market expanding
- Increased e-commerce use
- Off-price retail expansion
- Convenience store consolidations driving improved technology
Also at this event, the RSPA debuted 11 Canadian Community Success Stories based on member experiences with the association and RetailNOW. Among the highlights of these Success Stories are:
- Tim Shein of King Business Services in Richmond, BC: “The RSPA provides the vehicle, the venues, and network to achieve growth. You won’t feel alone in the sea of small businesses.”
- Jamie Gray of LOC Software in Laval, QC: “These folks openly share their trials and tribulations.”
- Penny Savvidis of BlueStar Canada: “Go one-on-one with peers” and “grow potential business opportunities.”
Also sharing success stories were VARs Globe POS Systems, Teletec Systems, and CLS INFO; ISVs Auto-Star, Vend, and Lightspeed; and vendors LAVA Computer MFG and Kilotech.
The Canadian Community fosters relationship-building among businesses and individuals in the POS ecosystem that have a presence in Canada. All resellers, vendors, software developers, manufacturers, and service providers that bring retail solutions to the Canadian marketplace are welcome.
In addition to regional events held earlier this year in Toronto and Vancouver, the RSPA Canadian Community will be host another networking event this fall in Winnipeg, Manitoba. If you are interested in joining RSPA’s Canadian Community as an event attendee, committee member, or community sponsor, please contact RSPA Member Services Manager Michael Millard at MMillard@GoRSPA.org.
RetailNOW 2019 was held July 28-31 at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, TX. Known as “Where the Industry Meets,” RetailNOW annually brings together retail IT professionals, channel leaders, and innovators from around the globe. RetailNOW 2020 will be held at the Venetian Resort in Las Vegas August 2-5. For more information, contact Events@GoRSPA.org.